Any experience with cubox-i?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 12:59:57 IST 2014

Hi,

After moving to a new rented unit I found that it's going to be a bit (or
very) tricky to get my aging desktop (which I mainly use for Bittorent and
"storage server" these days) connected to the ADSL modem using wired
Ethernet.

Instead, I though that I might get myself some media-centre computer -
it'll be either so small that I can still keep it close to the
modem/router/wifi point or it'll suport wifi so I can put it somewhere else
in the unit. It'll also hopefully be power efficient so I could afford to
keep it turned on 24x7 (both for economic and environmental concerns).

But I don't feel like running around designing my own hardware, order it
then build it myself, so I searched a bit for "linux media center hardware"
and the top results all point to http://cubox-i.com/, which after reading a
couple of reviews turned out to be based in Israel.

I'm considering getting myself the CuBox-i4Pro, and perhaps do it while I
visit Israel next Passovah (not sure yet).

Everything I read about this unit so far is just 100% positive. Does anyone
here have experience with it, the service? hardware quality? Cost of
shipping in Israel? Is pick-up from their offices an option etc?

Cheers,

--Amos