twisted and python3

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Thu May 22 13:11:16 IDT 2014

​Hi,

Can anyone out there comment on the state of twisted on python3?

We use python3, and we are considering twisted as a candidate platform to
develop a server framework. We have not tried anything yet, just mulling
possibilities at this point. While researching the topic multiple tidbits ​
​of concern came up, such as

​
http://twisted.readthedocs.org/en/latest/projects/core/howto/python3.html
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/tags/releases/twisted-14.0.0/twisted/python/dist3.py

​etc.

If twisted in its current state is not well-supported on python3​
​ we would prefer to drop it as a candidate early and concentrate on other
options. If problems are few and far between ​
​we will be willing to invest time in researching how much it will affect
our development. Twisted is a big anaconda, and we are not likely to use
more than some parts of it. This means that we'd like to​
​ learn of really disqualifying issues ASAP.

Thanks a lot for any input,​

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org