twisted and python3

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:40:23 IDT 2014

I'm not a Python Guru (you might be better off asking on Python-specific
forums), but from both working on contributing to a twisted-based
application (carbon cache - https://github.com/graphite-project/carbon) and
from talking to at least one person about this framework, it seems that
it's too complicated and still too limited.

You could end up writing more code to work around twisted limitations than
if you wrote your own simple server using standard Python (e.g.
https://docs.python.org/2/library/socketserver.html,
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/462525/Simple-HTTP-Server-and-Client-in-Python
).

My suggestion - beyond checking its status for the Python version you want,
have a spike (http://www.techopedia.com/definition/9503/spike) and see what
the code you come up with looks like and whether you like it.

--Amos

On 22 May 2014 20:11, Oleg Goldshmidt <pub at goldshmidt.org> wrote:

> ​Hi,
>
> Can anyone out there comment on the state of twisted on python3?
>
> We use python3, and we are considering twisted as a candidate platform to
> develop a server framework. We have not tried anything yet, just mulling
> possibilities at this point. While researching the topic multiple tidbits ​
> ​of concern came up, such as
>
>> http://twisted.readthedocs.org/en/latest/projects/core/howto/python3.html
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/tags/releases/twisted-14.0.0/twisted/python/dist3.py
>
> ​etc.
>
> If twisted in its current state is not well-supported on python3​
> ​ we would prefer to drop it as a candidate early and concentrate on other
> options. If problems are few and far between ​
> ​we will be willing to invest time in researching how much it will affect
> our development. Twisted is a big anaconda, and we are not likely to use
> more than some parts of it. This means that we'd like to​
> ​ learn of really disqualifying issues ASAP.
>
> Thanks a lot for any input,​
>

> --
> Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org

 [image: View my profile on LinkedIn]