twisted and python3

Meir Kriheli mkriheli at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:35:06 IDT 2014

It's seems they still have some way to go:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/milestone/Python-3.x

Which kind of services your server should provide ? This may affect the
choice of framework.

Note that in python 3.4 asyncio (a.k.a Tulip) got integrated into the
standard library, it's available for 3.3 as a separate module. Libraries
for asyncio are growing, see here if there's something that might fit your
needs:

http://asyncio.org/

Still far from Twisted's multitude of available protocols though.

Cheers

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Oleg Goldshmidt <pub at goldshmidt.org> wrote:

> ​Hi,
>
> Can anyone out there comment on the state of twisted on python3?
>
> We use python3, and we are considering twisted as a candidate platform to
> develop a server framework. We have not tried anything yet, just mulling
> possibilities at this point. While researching the topic multiple tidbits ​
> ​of concern came up, such as
>
>> http://twisted.readthedocs.org/en/latest/projects/core/howto/python3.html
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/tags/releases/twisted-14.0.0/twisted/python/dist3.py
>
> ​etc.
>
> If twisted in its current state is not well-supported on python3​
> ​ we would prefer to drop it as a candidate early and concentrate on other
> options. If problems are few and far between ​
> ​we will be willing to invest time in researching how much it will affect
> our development. Twisted is a big anaconda, and we are not likely to use
> more than some parts of it. This means that we'd like to​
> ​ learn of really disqualifying issues ASAP.
>
> Thanks a lot for any input,​
>

> --
> Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org

Meir Kriheli