Article: How we Benchmark Freecell Solver

Shlomi Fish shlomif at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 10:49:27 IDT 2017

Hi Steve,

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 2:21 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:00:16 +0300
> Shlomi Fish <shlomif at gmail.com> wrote:

Not quite. I am using backtracking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth-first_search and to a lesser extent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best-first_search , which may be considered
brute-force. The problem is that I normally use meta-moves which compose
several atomic moves into one unit. and so may render some deals to be
erroneously unsolvable.

Note that Freecell Solver can be configured at runtime to use atomic moves
which fixes this problem. See
http://fc-solve.shlomifish.org/faq.html#solve_all_games . The downside is
that all the atomic moves searches we tried so far were slower than the
meta-moves based ones.

> How slow would it have been if you used a brute force backtracking
> algorithm?
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/

You can never truly appreciate The Gilmore Girls until you've watched it in
the original Klingon.