[RBS] Kashrut Alerts including a number of Israeli products and businesses

Judith judith1779 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 3 18:01:02 IDT 2009

HI.

For those of you who are not familiar with Kosher Quest, Rabbi Eidlitz is an independent Kahrut Expert who visits many facilities worldwide, acts as a consultant to businesses looking into becoming Kosher,  and who is an consultant to many of the Kashrut certifications in America.  He does not give supervision nor is he employed by any person or organization that gives does give supervision.  His Koshrut organiztion is Non-Profit and funded solely by donations.  His loyalty is only to the kosher consummer!

Since this month's newsletter contains a lot of information about business in Israel and products being inported into Israel, I thought a number of you would be interested.

  August 2009 / Av 5769

Contributions may be mailed to:
KOSHER INFORMATION BUREAU
12753 CHANDLER BOULEVARD
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA 91607

Rabbi Eliezer Eidlitz
Rabbinic Administrator

Tel: (818) 262-5351
Fax: (818) 766-8537

e-mail: eeidlitz at kosherquest.org
website: www.kosherquest.org new

Alerts
• SPUDNIKS POTATO CHIPS are no longer under COR certification. This product should not be used even when bearing the COR symbol.

• The
“D” dairy designation was inadvertently omitted from several packages
of Fannie May Chocolates. All Fannie May chocolates bearing the cRc
logo are dairy, Cholov Stam. Corrective measures are being taken.

• Balsamic
Vinaigrette produced by Ken’s Foods Inc. - Marlborough, MA, bears an
unauthorized OU symbol and is not certified as kosher by the Orthodox
Union. Corrective action is being taken.

• Dribrite B F,
produced by Caravan Ingredients Inc. – Lenexa, KS  66215, contains
dairy ingredients as listed on the ingredient panel but the dairy has
been inadvertently omitted. Future packaging will be revised,

• Naturally
Delicious Café, Forest Hills, NY.  The menu for Naturally Delicious
Café bears an OU symbol.  This establishment is not certified by the
Orthodox Union.  Corrective action is being taken.

• William
Sonoma Cocktail Combo: The OU symbol has been inadvertently placed on
this product.  The product is not authorized to bear the OU symbol.
Corrective action is being taken.

• Veronica Bianca  by American
Food & Beverage Inc., East Brunswick, NJ.  All products with the
Brand name Veronica Bianca which bear an OU symbol are unauthorized.
Consumers spotting these products are requested to contact the Orthodox
Union at 212-613-8241 or via email at kashalerts at ou.org.

• Ken’s
Steakhouse Balsamic Vinaigrette by Ken’s Foods Inc. - Marlborough, MA.
This product bears an unauthorized OU symbol and is not certified as
kosher by the Orthodox Union. Corrective action is being taken.

• Herr’s
Kansas City Prime Steak Flavor Potato Chips.  The ingredient panel on
the above mentioned product inadvertently lists beef extract. The OU-D
designation on the product is valid. Future packaging will be revised.

• Rock
N Roll Gourmet Hippie Chips – Lime Is On My Side Cracked Pepper.  This
product contains dairy ingredients as listed on the ingredient panel
but the dairy designation has been inadvertently omitted. Future
packaging will be revised.

• In regard to the following flavors
of  Pringles: BBQ flavored Pringles, Honey Mustard flavored Pringles,
Original Flavor Pringles, Reduced Fat Original Flavor - The above
products that feature Hebrew text suggests the presence of Dairy
ingredients, the product is certified OU pareve and is correctly marked
with the OU symbol.

• Williams-Sonoma Chipotle Almonds and Sweet
Spiced Pecans--  The above mentioned products contain dairy ingredients
as listed on the ingredient panel but the dairy designation has been
inadvertently omitted. Future packaging will be re

• Food Lion
Salsa Con Queso.  This product bears an unauthorized OU symbol and
corrective action is being taken. Consumers spotting this product are
requested to contact the Orthodox Union at 212-613-8241 or via email at
kashalerts at ou.org.

• Foodtown
Rice Cakes Caramel Made with Whole Grain.  This product contains dairy
ingredients as listed on the ingredient panel but the dairy designation
has been inadvertently omitted. Future packaging will be revised.

>From the Kof –K:

• WHITING FILLETS AND SALMON FILLETS sold under the brand name of WHOLEY FISH are no longer under KOF-K Kosher Certification.

• The
FIRST STREET BRAND PIES listed below were mistakenly labeled KOF-K
without the status designation. The products were made on Dairy
Equipment and future labeling. will be corrected. 8\" Lattice Top
Cherry Pie, 8\" Lattice Top Peach Pie, 8\" Lattice Top Apple Pie, 8\"
Lemon Meringue Pie

• Effective immediately the following
TASTI-D-LITE STORES are no longer certified by the KOF-K. 1115
LEXINGTON AVE. NYC, NY 10021 - 1654 THIRD AVE, NYC, NY 10028 - 222 EAST
86 STREET, NYC, NY

• BREAKING NEWS!! The Marriott Hotels in Hong
Kong will be offering full Kosher catering and Bet Knesset arrangements
during the upcoming Jewelery and Diamond Shows.

>From the STAR –K:

• Effective
July 31, 2009, OAKLEAF CATERING GROUP (dba Hoffman & Company and
Lewis Caterers), 5805 Oakleaf Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215, will no
longer be Star-K certified.

FROM THE CHIEF RABBINATE OF ISRAEL, Fraud Division, Kashrut Alert - 020, July 15, 2009, 23 Tammuz  5769

• Muscat
Lunch Bar Restaurant: During an inspection of the Muscat Lunch Bar
Restaurant, 24 Ta’as Street, Kfar Saba, unidentified lamb fat was
discovered. After questioning those in charge, inspectors learned the
lamb fat was not kosher. As a result, the eatery’s kashrut
certification was immediately revoked.

• XL Energy Drink (6
pack): The energy drink six pack (barcode 5906485301067), imported by
the Kashmash LTD Company, 03-561-9778, displays kashrut certifications
from three kashrut organizations; OK Lab, Rav Schlesinger from
Strasburg and Igud HaRabbonim (KIR) Rav Yaakov Westheim. The individual
cans of the beverage do not exhibit any kashrut certification. These
can are bogus and should not be used. The beverage is imported legally
by the SIDS Company with an OK supervision. One must be vigilant when
purchasing to ensure one buys the legitimate kosher product and not the
imposter. The Rabbinate Fraud Division is taking action against the
Kashmash LTD Company.

• Nes L’café – Home Baked Goods: An
inspection of Gush Dan area grocery stores turned up the product
labeled “Nes L’café – Home Baked Goods” (barcode 7290001459096), with
the label stating under the supervision of the Yavne Rabbinate and
Mehadrin Chug Chatam Sofer Bnei Brak. The certification claims are
bogus.

• Tavlinim Yeruchim: An inspection conducted by Chief
Rabbinate officials of the herbs and vegetables labeled as
‘insect-free’ ‘shomer shabbos factory’ under the label Tavlinim
Yeruchim (phone 050-835-6863) does not have any supervision from the
Chief Rabbinate and it should not be used.

• Waldorf Health
Bars: Waldorf health bars [imported by City Sport Kfar Saba
03-766-3657) is marketed under a number of different flavors and
varieties, including a 29 gram strawberry yogurt protein bar (barcode
749826000046), a 31 gram chocolate peanut butter bar (49826125602),
Matricks, peanut base with chocolate flakes and caramel (barcode
786560149501, a chocolate flavored bar (barcode 749826125688). The
health bars, containing “vitamins and minerals” exhibit a Triangle K
supervision fro those who eat “Akum milk powder and gelatin”. It has
been learned the factory does not have any supervision and the bars may
contain non-kosher ingredients such as collagen, derived from a meat
source. The product is seen primarily in health food stores.

• Absrect
Catering – Haifa: The Haifa Rabbinate reports a firm called Absrect
Catering (052-640-2264) is advertising itself as kosher under the
supervision of the Haifa Rabbinate. The firm exhibits a photocopied
kosher certificate at times. In actuality, it does not have any kashrut
supervision from the Haifa Rabbinate and one may not hold a wedding in
the caterer’s facility.

• Rosh HaNikra Restaurant – Matte Asher
Rabbinate: The restaurant, also advertising itself as Mevashelet Rosh
HaNikra, is not under the rabbinate’s supervision as of January 2009.

• Chaim
Dahan Butcher Shop – 11 Jabotinsky Street – Ramle (08-924-0896)  The
store does not have kosher supervision and the kashrut certificate
stating it enjoys the supervision of the Ramle Rabbinate is fraudulent

• Pitted
Green Olives from Pri Golan: Pitted green olives (barcode 7290002854)
is being marketed under the mehadrin supervision of Chug Chatam Sofer
Petach Tikvah and the Chief Rabbinate’s National supervision, also
labeled “heter mechirah –kosher for Passover” is actually under the
Chief Rabbinate National supervision, not mehadrin, and heter mechira
as indicated.

• Bakala (Cod) Fish Alert: Young Bakala Fish sold
whole without heads are extremely insect/bug infested. Consumers are
urged to only purchase fish with a reliable kashrut hechsher.

• Danny
Daniel Meats are Approved Again – 7 Chartzit St., Kfar Saba,
(09-748-8380): The Chief Rabbinate reports Danny Daniel meat products
are once again approved, adding consumers and retailers should only buy
products bearing kashrut certification and accompanied by appropriate
shipping documentation.

• Candy Alert – Rambam Hechsher, France:
Candies distributed by Sijlin LTD, (19 HaMerkava Street, Holon
(industrial area), are marked under the supervision of Chug Rambam,
France, is being imported without authorization from the Chief
Rabbinate and therefore, the product should not be used.

• HaMutag
Potato Burekas Bis – HaMutag Potato Burekas Bis, found in Rami Levy
HaShikma supermarkets, does not make any mention of being dairy on the
front, only on the rear of the product. In addition, they are the
standard rectangular shape, associated with the parve burekas. The
product does not bear a local rabbinate supervision, but does state
Yoreh Deah – Rav Machpud. Due to the fact the product does not conform
with standard kashrut regarding the shape and it being dairy, the
factory has committed to immediately halt the current production line
and make necessary adjustments to avoid misleading consumers.
RESTAURANT UPDATES - ISRAEL
MAALE YOSEF:
Ta’am V’Reiach Restaurant- Moshav Ein Yaakov – kashrut revoked
MODI’IN REGION:
Shemen Bar Yochai, Moshav Bet Ariff, Mesech 78 – kashrut revoked
TEL AVIV:
Shwarma Shuli – 105 Dizengoff St. – kashrut revokedAbe Restaurant – 14 Yad HaCharuztim St. – kashrut revokedBoris Bakery – 123 Levensky Street – kashrut revokedTaboon King George Restaurant – 53 King George St. – advertises as kosher but does not have Tel Aviv Rabbinate supervision.

SHOFAR ALERT
Following
is a notification is being published on behalf of the Tel Aviv Judaica
supervision officials. Of late, many shofarot are being imported,
primarily from Morocco, manufactured by non-Jews, without kosher
supervision. During the manufacture, some of the shofarot are cracked
or damaged, and substances are used to repair the damage and while this
may not be visible, they are not kosher for performing the mitzvah. The
public is urged to only purchase shofarot with a kashrut supervision.
Rabbonim are also asked not to grant supervision to any shofarot if
they are not totally familiar with the manufacture process. For
additional information, one may call Rav Aryeh Levine Shlita, who heads
the Tel Aviv Judaica and Shatnez Division (03-693-8928).
FROM THE O/K:
• Please
be advised that MIRA BRAND Soup Packets & Bouillon Cubes produced
by Golden Bird Food Industry, Amman, Jordan distributed by Sierra
Network, Inc. bear an unauthorized OK symbol on the label. These
products are not certified by OK Kosher Certification. Corrective
measures are being taken.
• Please
be advised that LAROMME SNACK NAPOLITANA PARVE was mislabeled.  Both
OK-d and OK pareve appear on these labels. This product is actually
Pareve.  New labels have been corrected.
• Please
be advised that TIANJING GOAL-CHEM CHEMICALS CO., LTD. (Tianjing,
CHINA) Distributor of Glacial Acetic Acid is NOT certified by OK Kosher
Certification. Any certificate presented by them is FORGED.
• Please
be advised that MACAYO GREEN CHILE ENCHILADA SAUCE produced by FIESTA
CANNING COMPANY, INC. (Phoenix, AZ 85016) contains non-kosher
ingredients.  Product is being recalled and labels are being
corrected.  If you see this product in the market, Please call the OK
office at 718-756-7500.
• Please
be advised that a limited quantity of MARKET PANTRY CHOCOLATE CHIP
CHEWY GRANOLA BARS 18-ct (Leclerc Foods, Montgomery, PA) Sold in TARGET
stores with UPC Code 85239 20124 and “Best By” date of 18JAN2010 were
mis-packaged. Retail boxes are labeled with the OK-D symbol, and may
contain Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (which are OK-D
certified) and possibly S’more bars (which are NOT KOSHER). The product
with Best By 18 JAN 2010 has been recalled from all Target stores and
is no longer available at retail. If you see this product with Best By
18 JAN 2010 in the market, please call the OK office at 718-756-7500.
• Please
be advised that SNAPPLE SUMMER PEACH made by Snapple Beverage Corp. has
been inadvertently labeled OK Pareve. This product is NOT KOSHER.
Labels are being corrected.  If you see this product on the market,
please call us at 718-756-7500.

ALERTS FROM KSA:
• KSA does not certify Open Window Bakery and they were never certified by the KSA.
• All ElWest products are no longer certified.

UPDATES FROM THE RCC:
• Ralph's
La Jolla opened a full service kosher bakery and hot food service
counter. This project is a joint kashrus effort of the Vaad of San
Diego under Rabbi Jeff Wohlgelernter and the RCC. We are coordinating
closely with Ralph's to see that it meets the highest standards of
kashrus and the practical needs of the community. The counter operates
under a mashgiach temidi. The menu is plentiful and will only grow with
time to allow all travelers to pick up and go to San Diego without a
cooler or BBQ in tow. Ralph's even installed a washing sink in the in
store dining area for their kosher clients.
• Harry
G's Glatt Kosher Choice Meats: Rabbi Davidi and I visited Pierce and
Denver, Colorado to review the Shechita and processing of a new high
quality meat (only Choice and above) that will be brought into Los
Angeles under the Harry G's label bearing the RCC logo. This project
began many months ago and with Hashem's beracha was nurtured to a
successful conclusion without compromising on any kashrus standards we
wanted to see in place. Having witnessed the operations we can see why
this place received a very positive review from the third party
Shechita expert we consult with.
• Doheny
Glatt Kosher Meats: Doheny Kosher Meats has decided to be an
exclusively Glatt store  and distributor. All necessary steps to make
this transition possible have been completed and effective immediately
Doheny Kosher is certified Glatt by the RCC. As such, they will be a
welcome  added resource for the broader community, both retail and
commercial. We are working closely with Mike Engleman to ensure that he
can take advantage of the many Glatt meat sources available, as well as
help him develop his own private label meats ,that will be shechted
under the RCC logo with the highest standards.

NEW O/U PRODUCTS:
From Abeko, Crescent Rice Crackers, OU

>From Continente Nut LLC:
Andrea-- Walnuts, OU-P
JAC-- Walnuts, OU-P
Miramar -- Walnuts, OU-P
Ridgemont -- Walnuts, OU-P
From Dipa Industries, France
Brand: France
Alkalinized Cocoa Powder, OU
Alkalinized Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, OU
Alkalinized Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder With Lecithin, OU
Cocoa Powder, OU
Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, OU
From Exportaciones Mirsa E.I.R.L, Peru
Botija-- Black Olives, OU
Botija-- Sliced Black Olives, OU
Sevillanas-- Green Olives, OU
Sevillanas-Green Olives Stuffed With Celery, OU
Sevillanas-Green Olives Stuffed With Peppers, OU
Sevillanas-Sliced Green Olives, OU

>From Fujian Dongshan Haikui Aquatic Products Group Co., Ltd..       China
Brand--3500/02108 Tuna (Canned) O/U
From Fuze Beverage, LLC, NJ
Fuze--Black And Green Tea, OU
Fuze--Diet White Tea, OU
Fuze--Refresh Peach Mango, OU
Fuze--Vitalize Fruit Punch, OU
Fuze--White Tea, OU
From Herby’s Bake Shop, Israel
All baked goods.
From Impulse Beverage, Miami, FL
Extreme Impulse, OU
Extreme Impulse Sugar Free, OU
>From JB Hecht & Associates, Inc., NY
Hex Whiskey, OU
From Koeze’s Company, Grand Rapids, MI
Brand: Koeze
Assorted Nut Caramel Popcorn, OU-D
Caramel Apples, OU-D
Caramel Crunch, OU-D
Caramel Crunch With Dried Cherries, OU-D
Cashew Brittle, OU-D
Milk Chocolate Pecan Puddles, OU-D
From KOV Foods, Inc., Ardmore, PA
Brand: KOV
Garden Mint Chocolate Creamy Non-Dairy Frozen
Desserts, OU
Ginger Vanilla Creamy Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert, OU
From Lianyungang Yamako Laver Co., Ltd., China
Brand: Nico Nico
Roasted Seaweed, OU
Roasted Seaweed For Rice Ball, OU
Rolled Seaweed, OU
Roasted Seaweed, OU
Roasted Seaweed For Rice Ball, OU
Rolled Seaweed, OU
From Maui Pineapple Company, Ltd., Concord, CA
Maui Pineapple Chilled Single Strength Pineapple Juice, OU
Maui Pineapple Frozen Single Strength Pineapple Juice, OU
From POM Wonderful, Los Angeles, CA
Brand: POM Wonderful
Pomx Coffee Latte Healthy Buzz, OU-D
Pomx Iced Chai Tea Latte, OU-D
Pomx Iced Coffee Café Au Lait, OU-
Pomx Iced Coffee Caramel, OU-D
Pomx Iced Coffee-Chocolate, OU-D
From Genji, Inc., Long Island City, NY
Genji Ginger Miso Dressing, OU
Genji Spicy Ginger Miso Dressing, OU
From Danodng Donga Food Co., Ltd., China
Dongda Lv Yuan Canned Fresh Chinese Chestnut, OU
Dongda Lv Yuan Frozen Blueberry, OU
From Colavita USA-Linden, Linden, NJ
Brand: Colavita
75% Pure Canola Oil And 25% Virgin Olive Oil, OU
All Natural Canola Oil (100% Canola Oil), OU
Premium Canola Olive Blended Oil (75/25), OU
From Cereal Food Processors, Mission Woods, KS
Brand: Cereal Food Processors
America’s Best A-P Flour, OU
Bulk Wheat Flour, OU
Hard Wheat Flour, OU
Montana Hi Gluten, OU
Montana Spring Patent, OU
Oak High Gluten, OU
Titan, OU
W-R S-R Flour, OU

>From California Apple Products Inc., No. Hollywood, CA
Brand: California Apple Products
Fresh Diced Apples, OU
Fresh Sliced Apples, OU
From Alexander Mill, Bancroft, ID
Brand; Alexander Mill
Groats, OU
Pearl Barley, OU
Quick Rolled Oats, OU
Rye, OU
From Whitewave Foods Company, Broomfield, CO
Brand: Horizon Natural #49-62
Lowfat Chocolate Milk-Milk Breakerz, OU-D
Lowfat Vanilla Milk- Milk Breakerz, OU-D

>From Valley View Packaging Co. Inc.,, San Jose, CA
Brand; Valley View
  Prune Juice, OU
  Prune Juice Concentrate, OU
>From Schwartauer Werke Gmbh & Co., Germany
Brand:  Hero
Move Delica USA – Apricot, OU
Move Delica USA – Blackberry, OU
Move Delica USA – Forest Fruit, OU
Move Delica USA – Strawberry, OU
Move Diet Italian – Bitter Orange, OU
Move Diet Italian – Peach, OU
From Rowland Coffee Roasters Inc., Miami, Fl.
Brand: Café Bustelo
Instant Coffee, OU
Instant Coffee Mexican Blend, OU
Instant Decaf Coffee, O U
Brand: Medaglia D’oro
Instant Coffee, OU
Brand: Pilon
Instant Coffee, OU
Brand: Phillips Gourmet Mushrooms
Baby Bella Mushrooms, OU
Enoki Mushrooms, OU
Mushrooms, Black Trumpet Dried, OU
Mushrooms, Paddy Straw Dried, OU
Mushrooms, Porcini Powder, OU
Organic Baby Bello Mushrooms, OU
Organic Mushrooms, OU
Shitake Mushrooms, OU
Sliced Fresh Italian Ababy Bella , OU
Sliced Organic Portabella Mushrooms, OU
Potion Herbel Remedy
Burn Potion, OU
Calm Potion, OU
Detox Potion, OU
Immunity Potion, OU

NEW FROM THE STAR K AND STAR D:
Ahmet Hulki Ozari Tar. Urun. San. Ic Ve Dis Tic. Ltd. Sti.
Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Olives, Vegetables (Canned)
Arbre Farms Corporation
Walkerville, MI
Coosemans D.C., Inc.
Jessup, MD
Vegetables (Fresh)
Custom Candy Concepts Inc.
Inwood, NY
Candy & Confectionery Items
Star-K/Star-D*
Dr. Lucy's LLC
Norfolk, VA
Cookies (Specialty)
Edible Arrangements #728
Delran, NJ
Star-K/Star-D*
Eurochem Asia Limited
Shanghai, China
Amino Acids, Vitamins, Supplements & Nutritionals
Food Service of America
Scottsdale, AZ
Vegetables (Canned)
Herr Foods, Inc.
Nottingham, PA
Hubei Xinshiji Foods Co., Ltd.
Dangyang City, Hubei, China
Fruit (Canned)
King Pizza
Great Neck, NY
Dairy Restaurant
Pizza Shop
Krema Nut Company
Columbus, OH
Candy & Confectionery Items
Star-D*
MASBR LLC, dba Cafe 11
New York, NY
Restaurant/Take Out
Monaco Foods, Inc.
Pompano Beach, FL
Fruit (Canned)
Musclemaster.Com, Inc.
Northborough, MA
Vitamins, Supplements & Nutritionals
Natural Earth Products, Inc.
Brooklyn, NY
Vinegars
New World (Fuzhou) Agriculture Development Co., Ltd.
Fuzhou, Fujian, China
Vegetables (Frozen)
Onpoint, Inc.
Montvale, NJ
Vegetables (Fresh)
Organic Children's Chocolates LLC
Cos Cob, CT
Chocolate Products, Organic Products
Star-D*
Plasoliva, S.L.
San Martin de Trevejo, Caceres, Spain
Olives
Restaurant Depot
Pepper Division
College Point, NY
Vegetables (Canned)
SLN Coffee (P) Ltd.
Kushalnagar, Karnataka, India
Coffees
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company
Montvale, NJ
Bread Products
ZF Sushi Depot
Brooklyn, NY
Vegetables (Frozen)

From Yechiel Spira
Jerusalem Kosher News: jerusalemkn at gmail.com
• Rimini
Pizza – Ramat Eshkol Shopping Center – Jerusalem. The pizza shop until
recently has been under the supervision of Belz – Machzikei Hadas but
has now switched over to Rav Rubin. Rimini is located at 9 Paran Street
in Ramat Eshkol and is obviously dairy.

• Moshiko Shwarma – Ben
Yehuda St. – Jerusalem. As per the OU this morning, the store is still
under its supervision. I phoned to inquire since while passing last
night I realized theteudah was expired. Rachel explained to me that the
mashgiach was given the new teudah and it appears he did not get it to
the store on time.Moshiko is also under Jerusalem Rabbinate Mehadrin
[which is not expired]

• Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream – Israel.
Sometime ago, I reported that according to the head of OU Israel, Rabbi
Yosef Minsky, the hechsher in the Holy Land is only chalav yisrael,
unlike in N. America where there are OU-d products that are dairy
non-chalav yisrael. It now appears that while most of the Ben &
Jerry’s products are indeed OU chalav yisrael, but you must read the
label. There are a number of flavors containing candy bits that contain
non chalav yisrael milk powder. Yes I am well aware many are not
strict, so I guess this is intended for those who do not wish non
chalav yisrael milk powder. As usual, this is not a judgmental
announcement, but informative to remind you, the consumer, that you
must read the label looking for the hechsher. These flavors of course
are not marked ‘chalav yisrael’ as are the others.

• Prigat
Juices - Clarification One reader correctly pointed out that when
shopping, if you wish to be a scrupulous kosher shopper, you must
actually inspect each item.A case in point – he is stringent and does
not use heter mechira. His incident, if you will, occurred in the Yeish
supermarket in Ramat Eshkol, but the same applies everywhere.  “Prigat
Squeezed (Prigat Sachut) products rely on heter mechira as it says on
the bottle by the date (l'shimush ad) stamp.  What I can tell you is
that the juices on the shelf (aside from the Prigat Squeezed Lemonade)
were heter mechira.  I heard that there was a sign at a shul in Ramat
Beit Shemesh to be wary of this product as well.  If the bottle was
stamped l’fi heter mechira, it only had a hechsher from Kfar HaRoeh as
opposed to the lemonade product (again which was not stamped l’fi heter
mechira) which had that hechsher in addition to the Chug Chatam Sofer
hechsher”.  The point is that now, even after shmitah, the bottles may
contain heter mechira contents and thi s is problematic for those who
do not use such items. It just requires a few seconds per item as they
are inserted into one’s shopping cart.  This morning, I phoned Rav
Eliyahu Dumpti, the mashgiach for Prigat seeking clarification.
Actually, it is not complicated, but you as a consumer must be aware,
read the label.  Most of the company’s line remains the same, mehadrin
with the hechsher of Chug Chatam Sofer Petach Tikvah and the OK. The
‘fresh squeezed” fruit juice line, the bottles generally found in the
refrigerated section, including but not limited to orange and red
grapefruit, are no longer mehadrin because they are ‘heter mechira’. As
such, the Chatam Sofer and OK were removed, and they are under the
supervision of Rav Weiss from Kfar HaRoeh. All such bottles are clearly
marked “heter mechira”.

• Ma’adnei Bina – Shuk Machane Yehuda –
Jerusalem The Ma’adnei Bina ‘mehadrin’ take home food store in Machane
Yehuda, the one without a hechsher, is now out of business. The same
fellow is now operating the Bina fish store in the same, but remodeled
location.

• High Court Orders Hechsher for Messianic Jewess The
following article was written by me for Yeshiva World News
(http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/), appearing on Thursday, July 2, 2009.
I thought readers might find it appropriate for this forum, providing a
glimpse at the difficulties encountered by the Chief Rabbinate of
Israel, which seeks to run a system by halacha, but too often, is
usurped by the secular judicial system. In a troublesome ruling,
Israel’s High Court this week ordered the Chief Rabbinate of Israel to
issue a kashrus certificate to a Jewess who by her own definition is a
Jew for Yeshu. She owns and operates two bakeries, Penina’s Pie, one in
Ashdod and one in Gan Yavne. The Gan Yavne Rabbinate set conditions,
explaining her faith in Catholicism compelled them to set stringent
conditions for a hechsher, that she agree to ongoing inspections and
that the mashgiach be given a key and free access to the bakery [which
should be the case for any store].  After not agreeing to the
conditions, Peni Comforti opened a second bakery in Ashdod and received
supervision from the local rabbinate, hiding her religious preferences
from the rabbis. She then turned to the Gan Yavne Rabbinate to
reinstate her supervision, explaining she has one from Ashdod. The
rabbis spoke and she was summoned to a meeting with Rabbi Yosef Sheinen
of Ashdod, following which her kashrus certificate was revoked. The
rabbi explained that after Comforti confirmed she believes in the New
Testament, it became obvious to him that she is not trustworthy for
kashrus matters.  Comforti, however, was not taking this without a
fight, and she turned to the Supreme Court, a move that surprised the
Ashdod Rabbinical Council, which then gave her a teudah once again,
with restrictions. The main condition is that one of the main workers
present most of the working hours is “Ne’eman B’Kashrus”, a trustworthy
individual that will allay the rabbis’ fears. She was also instructed
to give the mashgiach keys, as well as guaranteeing there would be no
mi ionary activities on premises. This arrangement was to be
reevaluated after one month.  The state recommended that the High Court
reject the petition, explaining the rabbis did not refuse to grant a
kashrut supervision, but set conditions as they felt were required to
ensure the kashrus is upheld, in adherence to halacha. The court
however decided to accept the petition and ruled against the rabbis.
The court stated that while it is not ruling on halachic matters, and
that the rabbis must decide what is acceptable to meet halachic
standards, the conditions set forth by the rabbis must comply with the
law and considerations not connected to kashrus matters may not come
into play. (Yechiel Spira – YWN Israel)

Respectfully,
Yechiel Spira
Jerusalem Kosher News – jerusalemkn at gmail.com