[RBS] update on Raphael Asher Yitzchak ben Chassie

britstownjew britstownjew at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 14:55:41 IST 2009

Received the following update today:

Yesterday the therapists were working with Oscar and decided to tape his eyes gently open for a while, so that he could blink whenever he wanted and to allow him the opportunity to see.

They are doing one eye at a time.  He was looking at his wife and daughter. He doesn't track steadily but that's to be expected, so long as we know that he can see and do "enough tracking" for the moment. The therapist wrote his name on a piece of paper and asked him to read  her writing (without telling him what she had written)  ...and he did out aloud!

They don't think he sees too well out of the other eye but can't be sure, time will tell but at least we know he has vision.

Now with the eyes open for a little each day it makes one more aware of how much he sleeps each day...he really  is asleep or in a light coma for most of the day,  though fortunately they do get some responses when he's "sleeping".

As one of the doctor's said previously, "Hashem is in charge and he is creating a miracle for us".

Irene