[RBS] Has anyone applied for US Social Security Benefits from Israel?

Moshe Burt olehchadash at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 5 13:22:42 IST 2009

Shalom All;

I am looking to speak with anyone who has recently applied for US Social Security Benefits from Israel.  Please either email me at  moshebur at actcom.co.il
or, preferably, call me at 02-999-6496.   Thanks!

I have noted that the social security website does not permit US citizens living abroad to apply for Social Security Benefits using the online form.  Therefore we are compelled to deal with the appropriate personnel in the Jerusalem consulate or the Tel Aviv Embassy.

What have been your experiences dealing with one or both offices??

What days of the week and what hours of those days are set aside for helping people applying for social security?  When can one call to make an appointment to either meet with the appropriate individual at the Jerusalem consulate in-person or facilitate applying for social security benefits?

It is indicated on the website that one can only apply 3 months before their birthday -- in my case -- in February, 2010.  Since application is being facilitated from a foreign country, is it possible that they let you begin the application process a little bit earlier, like sometime in January, 2010?

I read on one of the pages online that my birth certificate may be required, as well as my military discharge.    Please note that sometime over the years both the original birth certificate and military discharge were lost and I applied for and received copies of both.

Question here is that your website indicates that such copies need to be notarized.  Since I live in Israel, is it permitted to use any Israeli attorney and/or Israeli attorney who is also a notary to notarize both?   Is it possible that such notarization may not even be necessary?

In trying to do my homework in the intervening months before making application, I contacted the Social Security toll-free # and asked the Social Security help agent the question; Once my application is processed and approved, with my 62nd birthday being May 2, 2010, would I begin receiving benefits in May?  The agent responded that the first benefit money would only be transferred to my bank on June 3, that Social Security benefits operate on a 1 month delay.

My question to you is;  Does it ever happen that a person, once approved, has a problem receiving the first, or subsequent benefit monies, i.e. that the transfer of his benefit is missed?   And if so, what does a person do in that case?

I understand that Social Security benefit can be transferred directly to my Israeli bank account.  The questions here are; whether it is smart to open a Dollar account in order to take in the transfer, or whether Social Security can transfer the benefit monies into one's Israel account in the local currency, in this case in NIS (Shekels)?  Is it smart to open an Israeli account vs having the funds transferred to an American bank account??   Will having the funds transferred to an Israeli bank account actually slow down or retard receipt of the funds?  Is it better, in order to receive social security monies on a timely basis (in my case -- since my birthday is May 2 the first monies ought to be in my account by June 3), to have them deposited to a US account?

Thanks,

Moshe Burt
 moshebur at actcom.co.il

or, preferably, call me at 02-999-6496