[RBS] When do you put your seatbelt on???

Pircha Soloveichik pcsolo at shemesh.co.il
Wed Apr 21 23:31:08 IDT 2010

If you, even occasionally, put on your seatbelt or have your kids put on
theirs, ONLY after first putting the car into gear and begin to drive out of
your driveway (I plead guilty here), then please continue to read this.

This morning I was a passenger in a car that was in an accident in my
driveway. The driver turned on the ignition, put the car into drive and
suddenly the car lurched forward, traveled 4 meters, picking up speed and
then slammed into a wall. The car was badly damaged, the driver side airbag
was deployed.  B"H all three occupants of the vehicle were restrained in
belts before the car was put into gear.  We were told that had the driver
not had her seatbelt on, the air bag which deploys at the speed of a gunshot
would have caused serious damage to her face. I could have hit the
windshield. Since we were all B"H belted, we walked away from the accident,
with no serious damage.
The lesson to be learned is that accidents can happen even in your own
driveway, so please make sure you are buckled up BEFORE you go.

Pircha Soloveichik