[RBS] Thefts of archaeological treasure Re: [RBS2] Small boys and matches!

Goldmeier Family goldmeier.family at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 11:09:37 IST 2010

You are making a big deal about what might actually be nothing. Last
week I was part of a tour of the site. The tour was led by Ilana, the
head archaeologist on site. She let kids pick up pottery from the floor
and take it. She also let people take pictures.
They don't care because the whole site is about to be bulldozed. They
have documented what they need to document and that is it. They are
trying to preserve what they can (most likely only the mikva will be
preserved), but just about everything else will be destroyed in a few
days to a few weeks.

Of course you shouldn't let your kids steal. But in this case the
archaeologists are letting kdis take things. If there was something
valuable it might be different - maybe they would want it for analysis.
But if the kids are taking rocks and pottery, the archaeologists are
fine with that. They are leaving and bulldozing the place anyway. It is
not an assumption. Ilana told us so and let peple take whatever they
happened to find (little shards of property).

Anything of actual value has already been removed from the site or is
still underground (not found) and will soon be destroyed.

Kol tuv
Rafi