[RBS] Mem-3 Objections: Clarifications/Corrections/Retractions/Apologies

Ephrayim Naiman ejnaiman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:25:30 IDT 2011

Dear All,

Well, I sent out the Mem-3 Hearing Summary 3 days ago and received a number of
comments - so here goes ...

1. Clarification:
"Objection: There is a need for at least 1 shul for every 70 families,
yet the only shuls planned are above the Ganim, with no parking access."
"Response: That is how shuls are built these days and we don't allocate
more - sorry."

The shuls being built on top of the Ganim *will* have handicap access.
The Ganim are being built into the mountain, so that the upper floor
will have "ground-level access" from the upper floor as well.
We are still waiting for detailed maps to find out how much nearby parking
there will be.  When asked if 1 or 2 floors of shuls will be available
above the Ganim, no answer was given
(i.e. it is unclear if a second floor  will also have handicap access).
=================================
2. Correction/Retraction:
"Objection: There is no Mikve in Mem-3 - with the closest current Mikve
1.5 kilometers away, straight up a very steep hill."
"Response: the Iriya mentioned that a Mikva is being built on Luz."

In the Mitnagdim's Rebuttal, it was stated that the Mikva will be
privately run and not available to the general public.

In the last few days I have had a number of discussions with the group that
will be running the new Luz Mikva, as represented by a local Rav.

I am assured that "of course the Mikva will be available to the *ENTIRE*
public and not to just certain sects."

In addition:
+ "Great efforts are being expended to make sure that it appeals to
the entire public
 at large, to all groups and all members of our neighborhood and beyond."
+ "All Rabbanim are invited to be involved."
+ "The Mikva will be under the direct control of an Amutah of
Tzibbur-minded Rabbanim and Askanim."

There will also be a "feedback forum", "care will be taken that
the Balaniyot be sensitive to the needs of all Tovlot", and
"immediate attention will be paid to complaints people may have."

This is very exciting and from what I've been told the culmination of
years of work.

I look forward to seeing the Mikva being built and used by all - Bekarov!
=================================
3. Apology

I apologize profusely for only reporting the 1-sided information that was stated
at the Hearing about the Mikva without doing more in-depth research.

I hope & pray that I have not hurt any of the efforts by numerous people
who have spent many weeks, months and years working on behalf of the Tzibbur.

I also hope & pray that I have not made any other mistakes in the
Mem-3 Objections.
In this case, it looks like Mem-3 *will* have a Mikva nearby!

Please do not hesitate to forward me any other constructive comments,
corrections, questions about the Mem-3 or Gimmel-2, Mishkafayim
projects.

Kol Tuv,

-Ephrayim Naiman
ejnaiman at gmail.com