[RBS] pay your sitter/gardener/worker same day!

marti winston martirobin2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 01:39:11 IDT 2011

  Hi everyone
It has bothered me for some time that many people hire people to do jobs for
them like babysit, gardening, tutoring, cleaning etc. but then do not pay
the person.

I was told we are required al pi halacha to pay a worker the same day.
The only way to get around this mitzva is to ask the person working for you
if it is ok to pay them later.

I think we must ask the worker BEFORE they do the job this question.
I know many people who hire babysitters or ozerets who ask them AFTER they
do the job.
They say they do not have any money now and will it be alright to pay them
later.
I for one think this is irresponsible on the part of the person who does the
hiring.
What can a sitter/ozeret do afterwards if you don't have any money to pay
them?

People, please be aware that the reason these people are hiring out to work
is because they need the money now.

Wishing everyone a Shavuah tov
Marti