[RBS] PSA: beware lending money to this person

Aryeh Koenigsberg aryeh.koenigsberg at gmail.com
Thu May 19 12:05:43 IDT 2011

Listers,

After rabbinic consultation, here is a note of warning about
a resident of Bet Shemesh who may approach you to
borrow money.

My attempts to recover even small portions of the
loan have failed -- a year and a half after it was due.

Reliable sources have told me that this person has
treated a large number of local lenders similarly.

This person, who is not unknown on the Bet Shemesh
landscape, makes an impression of integrity, sincerity,
and a strong desire to cooperate, so the request to
borrow money can understandably be viewed positively.

Based on rabbinic consultation, my proposal to spare
others of this situation with this person, while respecting
the privacy of this person and of your borrower, is:

Anyone who is considering lending money to a Greater Bet
Shemesh resident (no matter how confident you are that
you will be paid back) can contact me.

I will reveal minimal information about the person I refer to
here (such as first initial of family name). If it matches, I
will continue to reveal additional minimal information, until
a confirmed match can be made. The potential borrower
can then use the information I can share about my loan
experience, as he/she sees fit.

Notes:

1) I am not implying that I am the only one who
has experienced this circumstance. In fact, it seems to be
in lenders' best interests for similar experiences to be
shared with as wide a forum as possible.

2) This list seems not to be the appropriate place to share
suggestions about how lenders can better protect
themselves from such scenarios. Reply to me offline
if you desire.

--
Aryeh Koenigsberg
aryeh.koenigsberg (at) gmail.com