[RBS] Very disturbing incident outside Moria banot this morning.

Yael and Mark slutzkiy at netvision.net.il
Thu Sep 22 12:12:32 IDT 2011

I am exposing this to the list not because I want to bad mouth any segment
of the local population but rather to point out that children learn from
personal examples set by their parents and teachers.

The following incident happened to me this morning.

As I walked past the guard at Talmud Torah Moria to take my first grade
daughter inside a young JEWISH boy standing next to the guard started
commenting that there are a lot of non tzanua girls around. He had to say it
a couple of times before I realized that he was referring to my 6 year old
daughter who was dressed in her Moria school shirt and a long skirt. I
turned round to the boy who can't have been more than 10 years old and
kindly with a big smile on my face asked him where he see's non tzanua
girls. I pointed out that my daughter is dressed very appropriately, in fact
all the girls here are. I also told the boy with my smile still on my face
that if he has a problem he should please go to his own school gate and
judge his friends before passing judgment elsewhere. I ended by telling him
that it is now Elul, we are all Jews and in less than a week we will all
stand TOGETHER and listen to the shofar.

What bothers me with what happened is that this child is not a child of one
of the extreme ring leaders who believe that they keep all of the 613
mitzvot to the last letter. This child has heard what is going on from the
adults around him and thinks that this is the way to behave. The guard who
was with him could have been his father I don't know, they clearly knew each
other and that guard just smiled throughout our whole exchange. There is
something inherently wrong in the system if kids can't see their counter
parts as equals. There is no way Moshiach can come if each segment of the
population insists on gathering around its own flag and seeing everyone as
"them".

Yael Slutzki