[RBS] Biur chometz: Question and Plea

Yitzchok & Hasha Lavi lavi at chardmore.net
Thu Mar 21 15:51:32 IST 2013

1. Does anyone have information about any municipality-sponsored
chometz-burning this year? i.e. with a proper container and supervision

2. I'd like to repeat my plea from last year (updated, with apologies to
anyone who sent me refinements last time as I didn't note them):

On Monday it will be time to play with fire again.

Did you know? During the afternoon of first day Pesach two years ago (it
may have also happened last year but I didn't see), a fireman was driving
round, stopping here and there to properly extinguish smouldering biur
chometz fires. That same year, on Lag BaOmer the remains of bonfires along
Nahar Hayarden apparently triggered brush fires so there was good reason
for their caution.

Please... if you insist on starting a biur chometz fire anywhere near
vegetation or anything else which might catch fire, consider building your
fire in some sort of enclosed fireproof container (something like a cement
mixing trough for example) to prevent the fire spreading.

And if you contribute to such a fire whether you started it or not, please
ensure that a responsible adult will remain to make sure it's extinguished
at the end.
For everyone's sake, take whichever principle you care about more -
needless destruction of natural vegetation or chillul shabbos/yt - and use
it to build a habit to put out your fires COMPLETELY, EVERY TIME.

Yitzchok