YES with TV card

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Dec 8 21:54:36 IST 2009

shlomo solomon wrote:
> I'm moving from HOT to YES television. Since several of the TVs in my home are
> actually PCs with internal analogue TV cards (2 Linux boxes and 1 Windows), I
> asked YES tech support if they would work. I was told that all I have to do is
> to use whatever software runs the card to scan for the channel needed to
> connect to the MEMIR. I will, of course, not be able to choose what program to
> watch via the software (XawTV, in my case), but will have to change programs
> via the YES remote.
>
> Can anyone confirm that this information is correct?
>
> TIA

I actually had to get up and look at my receiver in order to answer that.

I do not see an RF output on the standard Yes receiver, so their
description of "scan for the right program" seems, to me, to be false.
Having said that, I am very doubtful that your TV card does not have a
video in port, if not an actual s-video port. Any of those will work,
and will actually give you better quality than the RF option mentioned
above.

Personally, I use an s-video port for the receiver, and will be getting
the blaster working as soon as I get around to it (which will allow
myth-tv to switch channels automatically, I hope).

There were also instructions on the web on connecting (for Windows) a
satellite receiver directly to the wall, and use the receiver's key card
to decrypt the broadcasts directly. Like I said, it did require a
special software (as well as a key card reader, of course, but that one
was serial), so I don't know how easy it is going to be to run on Linux.
If it would work, however, it would allow lossless reception + channel
changing + lossless recording.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh