looking for an embedded linux hw.

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Oct 4 18:02:11 IST 2011

On 09/15/2011 02:37 PM, Erez D wrote:
> Hello
>
> We need to design a system, which communicates data at rates of around
> 30Mbs via ethernet.
> We are designing the hardware from scratch.
>
> I Thought of assembling a board with a processor (which will run
> linux) and a small fpga.
>
> However, I do not want to invent the wheel. don't want to port linux
> to a new system. don't want to create my own reference design.
>
> So i am looking for a reference design for the hardware. and an open
> source project which will supply the linux system and toolchain.
>
> Anybody knows of such a project which both has a hardware reference
> and toolchain ?
Freescale's iMX53 have a quickstart board sold for about $200 ($150 if
you want it without the LCD). It has fully open source Linux, and the
schematics are available for download from the FreeScale site (including
the source files, in a format whose name I forget).

Full toolchain and BSP are available, though, of course, if you replace
components, you will need to change the kernel's init code accordingly.
This is the bane of all ARM architectures, however, and nothing specific
to the iMX brand. It is considerably more powerful than the Sheeva plug,
assuming that's of interest to you.

Shachar

> Thanks,
> erez,