looking for an embedded linux hw.

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:53:02 IST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz> wrote:

>  On 09/15/2011 02:37 PM, Erez D wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> We need to design a system, which communicates data at rates of around
> 30Mbs via ethernet.
> We are designing the hardware from scratch.
>
> I Thought of assembling a board with a processor (which will run linux) and
> a small fpga.
>
> However, I do not want to invent the wheel. don't want to port linux to a
> new system. don't want to create my own reference design.
>
> So i am looking for a reference design for the hardware. and an open source
> project which will supply the linux system and toolchain.
>
> Anybody knows of such a project which both has a hardware reference and
> toolchain ?
>
> Freescale's iMX53 have a quickstart board sold for about $200 ($150 if you
> want it without the LCD). It has fully open source Linux, and the schematics
> are available for download from the FreeScale site (including the source
> files, in a format whose name I forget).
>
> Full toolchain and BSP are available, though, of course, if you replace
> components, you will need to change the kernel's init code accordingly. This
> is the bane of all ARM architectures, however, and nothing specific to the
> iMX brand. It is considerably more powerful than the Sheeva plug, assuming
> that's of interest to you.
>
> Shachar
>
> Thanks for your suggestion

In the sheevaplug (actually i tested the dockstar).
i got the dockstar for 50USD in israel (used it as an eval board)
it has a 1GB ethernet, i read reports saying it is able to acheve actual
around 320Mbps rates as a router.
i was able to utilize it's serial port at 16Mbps. it is not the 30Mbps i
wanted, but will do for now. it is almost effortless to implement a uart on
the fpga, so i chose a uart as it's interface of choice, though it supports
faster things (usb2) but implementing usb client on the fpga is expensive
both in time and money.
btw, with a preliminary null modem test i was able to connect a tcp to the
board which connected the stream from/to the tcp to the serial port. it
worked great with sustained full duplex 2x8Mbps.

I took a look at the iMX53  quickstart board
It has only a 100Mbps ethernet.
the processor has a serial port, but i do not know the max baud i can get.
I will probably examine it further later.

Thanks,
erez.