OT: Cellular banking

Rabin Yasharzadehe rabin at rabin.io
Fri Dec 6 11:00:59 IST 2013

I do not trust the cellular companies ROM's - so I always switch to an open
source one (like CM)
There was a time no long ago where each ROM (even iPhone's) came with a
rootkit to monitor ALL your activities on your phone.

As for trusting the cellular providers ... You don't have much a choice ...
Do you ?.
algoth I will go with Golan Telecom for now, as their website allows you to
mange your cellular package.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Mord Behar <mordbe0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> http://xkcd.com/538/
>>
>> Get over it - this whole discussion is a waste of bits IMHO. Either you
>> trust your bank and the controls put in place to make it comply or pay on
>> failure, or you don't bank with them. The rest is as relevant as
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_angels_can_dance_on_the_head_of_a_pin%3F
>>

> Now now, that's not fair.
> I am not a crypto-nerd. I know that nobody cares about my secrets. But
> people do care about banking information. Because identity theft is a real
> thing and people do it for the money.
> You're all right on one account:it's a question of trust.
> I trust my computers, I trust my network.
> I've never had an Android phone before so I don't know whether to trust
> the platform or the 3/4G network (since I've never used that either).
> So my question really boils down to: do YOU (plural) trust your Android
> handset and cellular provider? Which provider do you trust? Which don't you
> trust? (We may need to renegotiate cellular plans soon anyway...) What did
> you do to your handset to make you trust it more?

>>> It is also possible (and very advisable) to set your handset to
>>> 3G-only mode, in which case it can't/won't failover to 2G, for talk it
>>> will still fall back on 3G because talk over 4G still hasn't been
>>> standardized (4G is aimed mainly at data, the assumption is that talk
>>> will use some form of VOIP, possibly SIP).
>>> (Then again all talk of 4G is still fairly moot in Israel since afaik
>>> we only have a few small testing network so far, no real 4G coverage
>>> yet just really fast 3G).
>>>
>>> Note that you will finish your battery faster when using 3G only since
>>> 2G requires less power, though I assume in newer phones those
>>> differences will be smaller due to more efficient chip/transceiver
>>> designs.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Eliyahu - אליהו

>> --