[RBS] FYI Article From Arutz 7 Concering Beit Shemesh, Our Mayor, Law and Order and Women's Rights

Steve Brown steveb at netvision.net.il
Sun Dec 25 11:55:08 IST 2011

News Brief
 12/25/2011, Kislev 29, 5772
Beit Shemesh Mayor: I'm Not a Cop

In an interview Sunday, Beit Shemesh Mayor Moshe Aboutbul said that he had
asked police several times to deal with Hareidi radicals who protests or
attack women or others they do not care for. “The Beit Shemesh municipality
stands at the right side of women's rights,” Aboutbul told Army Radio. With
that, he said, “the mayor is not a policeman. The job of police is to
protect the citizens. Most of the Hareidim are good people, but there is a
small group that acts radically. I do not agree with them, and I am in fact
angry with them,” Aboutbul said.

He said that calls to fire him for failing to defend women's rights were
“unrealistic and not serious. The mayor is elected to do a job, and I am not
offended by the calls against me. This is a political issue that is
encompassing the entire country. Those who seek to fire me have their own
reasons for doing so. It is a shame that in doing so they are defaming Beit
Shemesh,” he added.